Fresh Check Day is the signature program of The Jordan Porco Foundation (JPF). JPF works closely with colleges to plan and fund Fresh Check Day in an effort to bring awareness of mental health resources and coping strategies to college campuses. It is a celebratory fair-like event that includes:
- Interactive expo booths
- Free food
- Exciting prizes and giveaways
Fresh Check Day aims to create an approachable atmosphere where students are encouraged to engage in dialogue about mental health. Fresh Check Day helps to build a bridge between students and the mental health resources and programs that exist on campus, in the community, and on a national level. Using a peer-to-peer messaging model, Fresh Check Day utilizes student groups in addition to college/university staff to develop and execute interactive booths that deliver mental health and resource information in a fun and engaging way.
The program’s primary goals are to:
- Increase awareness of mental health resources and services available to students
- Reduce stigma and misconceptions around mental health and suicide that often deter individuals from seeking help
- Empower peers to be gatekeepers by understanding warning signs and knowing what to do if a friend is exhibiting signs of suicide or a mental health concern
- Increase willingness to ask for help if experiencing emotional distress
In order to ensure successful implementation and continued campus mental health and suicide prevention initiatives, Fresh Check Day thrives on full endorsement and support from higher level administration. By engaging the entire college community in this campus-wide movement, students are reminded that they are not alone and that their mental health is valued just as much as their physical health or their academic standing.